THE BASIC RIDERCOURSE
Total fee: $275
The Basic RiderCourse is intended for those with little or no experience, or for any rider who has missed the opportunity to take formal motorcycle rider education. This hands-on, learner-centered, step-by-step course teaches everything from the ground up.
MSF-certified instructors teach in our classroom and coach on our dedicated range. Four hours of classroom instruction includes risk awareness, protective gear, motorcycle controls, riding skills, and street strategies. Outdoor range exercises are conducted on our training motorcycles (all 250cc or smaller) in a controlled environment, where students get hands-on experience and personal, professional coaching.
Total instructional time is 16 hours, including a skill evaluation at the end of the course. Students meeting evaluation standards receive a completion card, waiving the on-cycle skill test required by the state for a motorcycle endorsement, which must be obtained from the DMV.
• Motorcycles - AMS provides you with a training motorcycle for the course.
• Snacks & Drinks - To keep you going.
• NO CHARGE for retaking the course - Riding a motorcycle for the first time can be stressful and confusing for many people. The concept of balance, using the hands and feet in a coordinated manner, and correct use of head and eye position can be overwhelming initially to the new rider. Unfortunately, some students are slower to overcome these new concepts and are unable to successfully complete the course. Should this happen, and you still really want to learn to ride a motorcycle, what is the school's policy in having you return. You have already paid a substantial sum of money to learn how to ride. Will they require you to pay full price to take the class again, or will they assist with getting you back into a class at a later date at "no charge" or with some minimal additional cost.
AMS will usually allow the student to return to a future class to finish their training at either no cost or a very minimal fee to cover our rider insurance costs.
As a minimum, each student must be able to ride and balance a bicycle.
Each student MUST provide and wear the following required safety gear:
- D.O.T. approved helmet (loaners available)
- Eye protection (glasses or face shield)
- Full-fingered gloves
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Over-the-ankle boots (with low heels)
- Long pants (jeans with no holes or tears, sturdy material recommended)